NEW RECIPE: ARUGULA & CARAMELIZED SQUASH FALL SALAD
This salad looks, smells and tastes like fall. It is nutrition-filled with healthy and delicious fruits and vegetables. It is light, but definitely will keep the family satisfied. So easy to make and is a perfect side or main dish this season with 20 mins of prep. I hope you’ll love my healthy organic recipe dressing, too!
Watch the Haute Nibbles video of this recipe here:
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4)
THE SALAD: Arugula and Caramelized Squash
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 acorn squash (Slice into 1/2-inch thick rounds. Remove the seeds with a serrated spoon.)
1/4 teaspoon pepper (optional)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons honey
1/2 cup whole unsalted walnuts OR pistachios, chopped
1 pomegranate, arils removed (or buy with arils pre-removed)
1 cucumber, sliced
6-8 cups baby arugula
1 avocado, sliced thinly
THE DRESSING: Ultimate Organic Dressing
Splash of filtered water
1/4 cup organic apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 lemon squeezed
Tiny drop of organic honey
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
PREP: 20 Minutes Tops!
For the Dressing (Make first and chill in the fridge until your salad is ready to be served):
1. Combine the splash water, vinegar, lemon, cinnamon and honey in a large bowl and whisk together or a salad dressing shaker.
2. Slowly pour in the olive oil while whisking until the dressing comes together.
3. You can store in fridge for up to one week.
For the Salad (You’ll need a large skillet and small skillet):
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the coconut oil.
2. Add the squash slices (optional pepper) to the skillet and cook until golden (3-5 minutes per side). You can add the honey now to help the squash caramelize, but this can be optional as well.
3. Heat a small saucepan over low heat and add the unsalted walnuts or pistachios. Toast until they are slightly golden. Make sure to stir the nuts as they toast, for about 5 minutes. Don’t let them burn. Sprinkle them with cinnamon.
4. Put your arugula in a big large serving bowl.
5. You can now add in cucumbers, nuts and squash pieces, pomegranate arils and top with avocado. Lightly cover the salad in the dressing or serve on the side.